Monday, January 27, 2014

Make-A-List Monday - Quilting In The Cold!

Hi, all!

Cold weather is quilting weather, right?  That's what I keep telling myself, as we hunker down for another round of arctic air!  All my windows are covered, I have an (old) quilt stapled up over my front door, which is over 100 years old and leaks air like a sieve, and there are towels at the bottom of every outside door to block any drafts.  And I'm sitting inside wishing for this…




I know many of you have it so much worse - but having grown up in south Florida, I've just started to get used to the cold weather we have in Tennessee (after almost 25 years here!) and our normal average temperature in January is about 45.  Zero is not in my repertoire!  So spring, come on!  That groundhog better not see his shadow - somebody blindfold him!

But as I said, it is quilting weather - so let's see how I did on last week's project list...


1.  Finish a ministry quilt for a woman with melanoma.
Done!  I love this top - I didn't piece it but I'd love to know what the pattern is!


2.  Finish a ministry quilt for a woman who just had 
open heart surgery.
Done!  I love scrappy, don't you?


3.  Finish a ministry quilt for a woman with lung cancer.
Done!  I love the vintage colors and fabrics in this one.


4.  Work on another part of the book and post it on Wednesday.
Done!  Social media was the topic, and you guys gave me some great feedback! If you want to read it, click here!

And if there's something you'd particularly like to see on Working Wednesday, mention it in your comment...

5.  Determine how to finish two beautiful vintage hand-made tops that were donated to the quilt ministry (story to come on the Piece*Love*Quilt blog!)
Just look at these beauties!  I think we're going to hang a frame from the ceiling at church and all learn to hand quilt on the blue top.  The Sunbonnet Sue quilt will probably be machine quilted on my frame, as soon as I get some practice in so I can do some pretty template work on it!



Detail - look at those poverty blocks!  


Love the little bow at the back of the bonnet!

6.  Write one or two posts for the new blog.
Done!  Check out "When God Speaks, We Should Listen!" and "Grow Your Blog" if you haven't already!

7.  Try to get one of the vacation quilts quilted using techniques from Judi Madsen's new book (a 2014 goal!)
I did not get to this one, but substituted another project.  I wrote up a quilt pattern for a charity quilt, and I'm trying it out to be sure that it all works!

8.  Keep up with any ministry needs that arise.
Done!  We made the quilts shown in the "When God Speaks, We Should Listen!" post, and also this quilt...



…which went to a gentleman in Ohio who just found out he has extensive cancer.  I believe those pretty blocks came from Sharon, and it was pieced together by Joanna.


Rita took a bunch of donated orphan blocks and made this quilt, which went to a local gentleman who is in rehab recuperating from some serious medical issues.

I also spent some fun time playing with this little cutie…

…all dressed up in Nana's necklaces and hat…


…and playing with a new toy today!  That six-sided puzzle made great stacking blocks, too!

I'd share some pics of Lilli, but she's going through another "don't take my picture" phase.  But Wednesday I'll be going to her school for a Grandparent Day - fun!!

OK!  So now what shall I do this week while I'm stuck inside staying warm?

1.  Piece the pattern test quilt top.

2.  Finish a man's quilt for a ministry need (complications of diabetes).

3.  Put borders on the rainbow log cabin and quilt.

4.  Quilt at least two more quilts ahead for the quilt ministry.

5.  Write one or two posts for the new blog.

6.  Write another part of the book and post it on Wednesday.

7.  Quilt one personal quilt for myself.

8.  Do some restoration work on the case for my Singer 99K.

9.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that arise.

That's all I can think of right now, although I imagine more will come up - it always does!  But this should keep me busy, indoors and warm…

So now, the question is - - - what are YOU working on this week?

Hugs!

Sarah

19 comments:

  1. Just love that vintage blue quilt!! How fun will that be to work together handquilting that - wish I could sit in on it. Love how the rainbow stars came out - super. Just gorgeous eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pattern of the first quilt reminds me of something from the book "Slice 'Em & Dice 'Em Quilts"(Leisure Arts #3653) by Nancy Brenan Daniel and Leisure Arts. You can see it on amazon and the cover quilt resembles the pattern of the quilt you showed. I have the book and like it very well. There are some used copies for around $10 including shipping. There is a new one for $78 (WHAT???) but the shipping is free. Woo hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is a disappearing nine patch. Once the nine patch is cut into quarters, those squares are paired with a plain square and made into half square triangles. Then those are grouped together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello
    I think that pattern you are looking for in a disappearing nine patch generation 2. I think you can find it on lyn Brown's blog.

    Cheers

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting tired just reading your list. How do you manage it all? Love the quilts, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilts and like you I love the first one. THe colours really pop xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilts are all wonderful! It's been pretty cold down here in South Florida, nothing like what the rest of the country has, but we are all bundled up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brrrrr for sure we are supposed to get snow today around 1. I hope so! We don't EVER see snow here. This cold weather really makes me appreciate the warmth of my house and even more specifically that I have a home. Prayers to all those that don't have this "luxury."

    Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy today and the next...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun quilty pictures!...and the cutie with nana's necklaces...well she takes the show!

    If you do find out the pattern for the quilt in the first picture, please do share? =D

    hugZ,
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job...I love the orphan block one especially

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya'll are going to love hand quilting, it will be a great time of fellowship. With how many quilts ya'll make it is impossible to hand quilt very many quilts, but it is a lot of fun! I love that sunbonnet quilt, one day I want one. This week, everything is already cut out, but I have 7 snowman blocks that is a row(BOM), a pincushion swap, and another Jacob's ladder block for a Virtual Sewing Bee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guess you don't want to know it's a gorgeous summer's day here :)

    I just caught up with my blog reading...been away at beach for a couple of weeks...and saw the beautiful quilt you and the gals made for Sharon. She is so deserving of such a precious gift. And it is a stunner of a quilt too.

    I am hoping to get the quilting done on one of my long time WIPs finished today. That will totally be a whoop whoop moment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness Sarah, you set yourself some high goal posts! I know you are locked in with the cold, but that is an awesome list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another very productive week, love that blue vintage top, handquilting it will be perfect! I'd be happy to swap weather with you, its summer in a big way here in Adelaide Australia. We are in the middle of another run of hot weather (naturally as this week the children went back to school so its always a stinker!) of around 41 Celcius (which is 105 Fahrenheit). Just over a week ago we were having 45s (113F). Its like living in an oven at that temperature day after day! I'd love a bit of your weather right now! Oh and rain, can you send some of that too?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that'll be fun to hand quilt those vintage tops with the crew. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. yep, I'm wishing for Spring as well! I grew up in South Louisiana, but of course now I'm in Memphis. the unfortunate thing about Memphis right now is that we've been getting ALL of the cold and wind, without a snowflake in sight! boo! stay warm!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are an inspiration and your work is lovely , you have done so much for the ministry and I seen the beautiful quilt made for Sharon , just gorgeous . You must be a very organized person .

    ReplyDelete
  18. That first quilt is a beaut alright. The vintage tops are amazing; have fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, if it were 45 degrees here I'd be in a long sleeve T and no jacket!!! Today it is 34 and I'm super excited to not have to wear gloves (it's been in the negatives for quite some time now). As always, your quilts are all beautiful and I love their stories :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!