Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Working Wednesday - The Quilts!

Hi, all!

Here it is, Working Wednesday again - I've been racking my brain this week trying to decide what to write about.  The problem is where to start - because there's so much to write!  But the one thing that kept cropping up in my mind is the quilts I'd like to feature, so I think I'll start there - with a list of some of the quilts that we'll be telling stories about and providing patterns for.

One of the first quilts we started making for the ministry was a variation of this pretty quilt



This is a pattern we originally picked up from Quilts For Kids, an organization that gives quilts to kids in hospitals.  It's quick, easy, and looks good!  

Then we moved on to the sudoku quilt…



This is a great quilt if you are overwhelmed with how to arrange the colors in a quilt - you use a sudoku puzzle to determine how to arrange the nine different colored squares.  Easy peasy!  And see those little feet at the bottom of that quilt?


Guess who?  Lilli - much younger of course!  She was a great photography assistant!

Then we started making baby quilts - and we used this great little rail fence quilt design from Beth of Love Laugh Quilt


A simple fence rail made of flannel strips.  This one works up so quickly and was a great way to learn strip piecing!  We also honed our skills in straight line and free motion quilting on these quilts.  

Then, of course, there's the ever-versatile disappearing nine-patch! This is such an easy pattern, although it was a real challenge to cut up what we had just sewn together!  Here's one example of a D9P we made for the ministry…


…and here's one of my favorite D9Ps, because it has such a fun story!  The girl who made this was so excited about making her first quilt that she started before we had a class - and she cut her squares out with scissors, sewed them together and brought the blocks in to class.  Well, they were a little wonky to say the least (remember YOUR first attempts to sew?) and we were trying to figure out how to turn them into something usable.  One of our members suggested cutting a smaller block out of the large block, so we took a template and set it wonky on the original block and cut new blocks.  I love this Wonky Sudoku Quilt!!


And here's another great quilt pattern, designed by Lisa of Shiner's View.  You might recognize this quilt - it's the one in my blog header.  This particular quilt was made for a gentleman who lived in Hawaii for a long time - we ordered the fabrics from Hawaii and made this very special quilt for him.


This has been a really popular pattern - we've made several and lots of folks have asked for the directions to use it for charity quilts for other groups.  It's easy, shows the fabrics nicely, and works up quickly.

I also want to add in suggestions about working with orphan blocks, improv blocks, and hopefully write a few original designs too!  

What would you want to see as far as patterns in a book like this?  Variations on simple designs?  Things to do to make them unique? Kitting instructions?  Or all new stuff?

I really appreciated all the feedback you all gave last week - some great ideas that I hope to work in to this project.  Thanks!!

Hugs!

Sarah

11 comments:

  1. I like the idea of simple patterns/designs and then how to rework them for a new look and different settings. Keeping it very basic and doable as most charity quilting groups can range from new quiters to experienced and it is nice to work from a set that pleases all. I've never done kits up, but with a basic pattern (with options) would seem to make the kitting much easier to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the things you mentioned would be good for the patterns. Color selection and working from scraps might be good additions to that section as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sudoku quilts. I have made the Shriner quilt and it simple and beautiful. Simple, quick, and easy quilts are what I look for first to make because most times I need a quilt now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is ok to write your 'chapters' out of order. If there is a part of the book you think needs to be in the middle of the book, but you keep playing it over and over in your head, write it down. You can organize the chapters later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing the quilts! It's all about pictures for me.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see how you make orphan blocks work

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the quilts you shared. I am definitely going to start making some of those easy rail fence quilts for charity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treat to get to see all the quilts. You have gotta LOVE the wonky sudoku one...where there is a will there is always a way. The baby quilt is beautiful and so sweet with all of its pinks. You all are doing such a wonderful thing making these quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fun and attractive way to use orphan blocks is in a strippy setting alternated with a strip of whole cloth. They go together quickly and require half the amount of a fully-pieced quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pictures! Stories! And easy quilt patterns. I'm always looking for those for charity quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a beginner quilter, simple patterns are the best. I have made lots of blocks which I then combine into lap throw-sized for my Littles mostly.

    I'm sitting in stasis at the moment trying to feel the mojo as I crochet and weave with other materials. I have so much pretty fabric and really appreciate these ideas on how to use them in larger pieces. I just cannot make the blocks with all those pieces-can't even begin by cutting them so small.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!