Friday, May 29, 2015

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? A Little Shopping in NYC...

Hi, all!

It's Friday again, and time to get our whoop whoop on!!  This week, I haven't been home much to do any sewing, but I did find a fabulous new quilt shop that I want to introduce you to!!

Now, I don't think Manhattan is a hotbed of quilters - there are a lot of fabric stores, but most of them specialize in glitz, spandex and glitter.  On my first foray out into the Garment District, I came up dry, except for some new threads to try...


I got two spools of invisible thread and a spool of 20 weight white - I've been dying to try the larger thread on a quilt, and this looks like a good way to do it.  The invisible threads were $8 a spool, and the 20 weight was $5!  

But today I went in search of the only true quilt fabric shop I could find listed in Manhattan - The City Quilter!


Tucked away under one of the ever-present sidewalk protectors (there's always repair, restoration, or building going on in NYC) was this fun little shop!


Lots of gorgeous fabrics....


...awesome notions...


...gorgeous sample quilts....


...and NYC-oriented quilts!!



 But this quilt was definitely my favorite...


The focus fabric is scenes from all around NYC.


Lots of places I've been!


It was really hard to pass up the kit they sold for this quilt - and it may come home with me yet!  I think I'll check to see if my husband likes the quilt as much as I do...


But I didn't leave everything at the store...


I picked up a yard of NYC fabric, designed by The City Quilter exclusively for their shop.  Also a FQ bundle of the Kona Sunset collection (ooh, I love those colors!) and a sashiko sampler and threads. I've been seeing some sashiko pop up on my Instagram feed, and it looks like fun!

So that's my whoop whoop for the week - a fun new shop to explore and enjoy!  
If you're ever in Manhattan, you should check it out!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What are you whooping about this week?


What's got you dancing the happy dance?

Share - we want to dance right along with you!
And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight -
Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

18 comments:

  1. What a great shop!!!! Love the NYC-fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been there but have ordered their NYC fabrics on-line - loved the subway map print. I have an older 'sky-line' print of theirs, but yet to find a pattern to showcase it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you stopped at the city quilt shop - I have heard of that one from Victoria Findley Wolf's blog - she uses that one a lot I think and I have read on others that have visited the city stop there as well. Hope you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to visit NYC - looks like you are having fun! That's a great quilt and would be a wonderful momento of your visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. New York New York...gotta love it!! Glad you are having fun...thaks for sharing your adventure with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you've visited The City Quilter where I teach - I live here and wish I'd known you were in the city. On my blog I have a link page for NYC fabric shopping as well as another for fabric stores I've visited around the world, what a shame you hadn't seen it! Hope you enjoy the rest of your visit - Chris :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been there! I've been there! It's a great shop! I, too, bought NYC fabric (2 different ones) and made a reversible "hobo" bag, which I use to this day! Nice to see it again and see what you found there as well as in the Garment District...ahhh, I need to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am totally 'gellous'. I was born in the big Apple and lived there the first 14 years of my life. Only been back once, but would love to visit the quilt shop and grab some of the NYC fabric. It would make a great memory quilt. Not much sewing going on this week, but hoping to get my charity quilt finished by this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to visit the City Quilter! We spent just two days in NYC--not nearly enough time--but had a walking tour of some of the fabric stores--and bought some things from Mood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your trip to City Quilter. Love that star quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW what a cool quilting store. I love that Log Cabin one. It is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a fun trip to the Big City. I've only been there once. My fav quilt from the group is the NYC one with letters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun to be shopping in New York City!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you are having fun. Neato quilt store. Love the NYC quilt, but don't you think it should be all different colors? It's a very colorful city.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Kona fat quarters you picked up, and I've been wanting to try sashiko for forever. You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are having some fun in NYC! Great quilts and nice "souvenirs" you've brought back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you found a good quit shop there. I get disappointed when one can't be located in smaller towns, so why I would be surprised you found one in NY I don't know--but I am! Then again, in a city that size, there are bound to be some quilters. Since you've been to many of those areas of NYC, I vote yes on purchasing the pattern. Heehee.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!