Friday, May 22, 2015

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Two Finishes!

Hi, all!

Once again, it's Friday - and that means it's time to get your whoop whoop on!  Are you ready?  (If you're not quite ready, you do have until Sunday night!)  So let's get started!

I managed to finish two - count 'em, TWO! - quilts this week!!  The first is this one, which will go to the newest member of our family, a new grand-nephew due in July...



This sweet quilt was made from a kit I got from Shannon's on-line shop, Fabrics N Quilts.  It's made from a Jaybird Quilts
pattern called Science Fair, and Shannon made the kit with some adorable '30's reproduction fabrics and I think some American Jane prints.  Wherever they came from, they are so pretty together!


I stitched in the ditch around both the inside and the outside hexagons, then did straight line quilting in all the white parts, marking my lines one inch apart before stitching.


And I had such fun with the binding!  I love the scalloped edges of this quilt - it makes it so unique.  And it wasn't really hard to do the binding, once I made my bias binding so I could go around the corners....

And here's my second quilt!  I made this one from the leftover pieces of prints from Nathanael's quilt, and the other fabrics that Nancy bought to audition for his quilt.  The squares were cut at 4.5" to finish up at 4", and there's a 2" border around the outside to finish it all off.


A little random meandering, and a pretty bias print stripe for the binding...


The back is made from a wide shirting print I found at a quilter's estate sale, and I stretched it to be wide enough by adding the "ladder" of grey up the center.


It's a simple quilt, but I love the way the fabrics work together! This quilt will be donated to our Canadian H2H charity, Because You Matter.  It would be a great quilt for an older boy, I think!

OK - so that's what I'm whooping about this week!!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What are you whooping about this week?


What's making you dance the happy dance?

Share - we want to dance right along with you - 
And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight.

Hope to see you there!!

Hugs!

Sarah




18 comments:

  1. I think that Science Fair pattern is so awesome! what a great donation! Love the scrappy donation quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Science Fair quilt and nothing like a scrap quilt to use up some fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two cute finishes! Good for you.
    I enjoyed the pictures of your daughter's family in your last post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing two quilts! Both are very beautiful in their different styles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a couple of lovely finishes this week. I especially love the colors in the Science Fair quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these are so sweet! Love the ladder on the back too, a genius 'stretch'

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both of your quilts, but the 2nd one I just love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 finishes? A double whoop whoop to you is in order.That 2" border is perfect on that quilt, it grounds it nicely without overwhelming the beautiful patchwork.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the both, each perfect in its own way. You do such beautiful precise work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful quilts. I like your ladder on the back of the one quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The 30s prints with Science Fair look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nancy has great color sense! Both quilts made with the fabrics she picked are just so happy and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilts and pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great quilts and pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the ladder you added to stretch the backing fabric! That would make an interesting quilt all on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both are lovely. I like the ladder on the back. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet finish on this quilt! I think the edging is great, and I can see a baby rubbing that edge between his little fingers and under his nose already. They do love that!

    Julie @ Pink Doxies

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah for you. They both look great.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!