Wednesday, June 13, 2018

I May Have A Scrap Problem... Strings, Strings Everywhere!

Hi, all!

Well, despite all efforts to avoid it, Tuesday snuck up on me, and I almost forgot to write a scrappy blogpost for Wednesday!  But here I am, with a little bit of a fun quilt to share!  Here's the story...


It all started with this picture that I found on Pinterest.  Suddenly the huge pile of strings we have at church took on a different glamour!  And so, using a 5" square for the center, I started going around the square with those strings.  My only requirement was that they be straight and even.  Round and round and round I went, until my block measured around 18" square, and I could get a full 8.5" block from the center of the 5" square towards all four corners.


After I finished two of the 18" blocks and cut them into quarters, I arranged this on the design wall.  Back to the sewing machine to make more blocks....


...and after cutting them into quarters, I decided to try a different arrangement.  I like this a little bit better, and it makes the blocks more like log cabins than bento boxes.  Awfully busy, though, with not much place for the eye to rest.


I decided to add sashing strips to two sides of each block (much easier than trying to keep the blocks in line with long sashing) and came up with this arrangement.  I like this - it calms it down and lets the scraps shine a little brighter!


Some setting triangles and corners (thank heavens for the Robert Kaufman quilting calculator app that does the math for me!) and a border, and this quilt top is in the books!  I was working at church every morning last week while the kiddos were in Vacation Bible School, and managed to finish this in probably about 8-10 hours of work.  

So that's my scrappy accomplishment for the week!  I'm sorry to say it didn't make much of a dent in the strings bucket, though - we may need to have a sewing day where we make a lot of these blocks and turn them into quilt tops.  I think that might make a dent!

What do you do to tame YOUR string box/bin/hamper/closet?

Hugs!

Sarah


17 comments:

  1. I do like it with the sashing, the strings and blocks shine on their own that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! And gray is one of my favorite "neutrals" - I was happy we had enough for all the background on hand!

      Delete
  2. Love that you added the sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for mentioning the app. I'm a new quilter and know it will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun quilt to make. I love using strings. I made 100 string blocks for Covered In Love's winter block drive. They are addictive, but they didn't make a dent in my string pile. I'll have to try your idea to use more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cutting up half a canvas tote full of muslin scraps....determined to see it empty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I am definitely going to give it a try!
    The grey really made the scraps pop-nice move!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like how that turned out. I would be interested to see a before and after picture of the strip bin when you ladies have worked together a couple of days on them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it---but "scraps" NEVER go away. They are like clothes hangers in the closet--they just keep multiplying in the dark :-) So always keep a light on in your sewing/stash area :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out great and I do like it better on point with the sashing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The on-point setting really punches these scraps up a notch! Very dynamic and fun. So far, the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is keeping my string scraps under control, since I try to empty the bin with each month's color in it. Occasionally I just purge a really stuffed bin with a big project. It really helps to have them pre-sorted by color!
    louise dot hornor at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  12. The grey is just right with those strings, Sarah. Right now I'm actually making more strings of batiks. They are for a 60x60 wallhanging for my bedroom. So they will get used. I'm donating from my stash to a church Quilting group. Unfortunately I would feel ashamed to donate my strips, so they just sit and wait.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes the addition of the gray sashing is perfect. I like the idea of using up the bits that way and may try to find time to do that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Iam a scrapoholic,One of my favourite methods is to use my mile a minute blocks in the disappearing 9 patch patterns .I always colour code my scraps

    ReplyDelete
  15. the sashing really tamed it down. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.
    안전놀이터

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!