Friday, February 22, 2019

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop? Supersmall Supernova...

Hi, all!

Friday has rolled around again and it's a special one - it's time for QuiltCon!  I'm spending my weekend there, meeting friends and taking classes and looking at beautiful quilts, but I still want to do some whooping with you all - so let's get started!


*&*&*&*&*&*&*

A couple of weeks ago I completed a full size Supernova quilt for my youngest grandkids' interpreter.  In one of the comments, Joy of The Joyful Quilter said that she wanted to make one in miniature.  Now that sounded like a great idea!  And I had a whole mess of tiny bonus HSTs left over from Nathanael's green annual quilt that I made for Christmas...


Of course, it might have helped if I had remembered I needed 100 HSTs and not 100 pairs!  But I have a whole other set of HSTs all trimmed and ready to make another one if I ever want to!


I don't generally make mini quilts, and this is why - it took almost as long to put this small version together as it did to make the full size one!


I did the same straight line quilting radiating out from the center that I do on the large quilt.  I think I like it even better in miniature!


I used a narrower binding than usual on this quilt, and actually stitched it down on the back by hand!  I really do like Clover clips for holding the binding inlace when I do it by hand.  Much easier!


And here's the finished version!  It measures about 13.5" square, and the HSTs finished out at about 1 1/4" each.


Isn't it pretty?  I can't imagine making one from scratch in this size, but it's a great way to use up bonus HSTs from other projects.


One last picture just for fun!

So - - - can I get a whoop whoop?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you,

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until midnight Sunday.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

26 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt! I'm very impressed with all these small squares (hmmm, 100 extra sounds a lot!), and your layout is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colours in this sweet quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous green scraps! I love the way you quilted it. One of my string projects for this year is using a parallelogram. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this mini quilt...and don't these fridays come around too darn fast???

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Love the colors and the quilting! You've inspired me to get going on my HSTs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mini version looks as good as the full size one! Do you plan to gift this one also, or use it as a wall hanging, or...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that little Supernova so much I want to drop everything and make one! Actually, I'd really like to be at QuiltCon meeting you and everyone else and seeing all the cool quilts. Enjoy, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your little green quilt! Certainly has a great design to it with those HSTs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. whee! Applause applause on that dahlia like burst of goodness! It's stunning and the setting is perfect! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your Mini Supernova and its colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Super-small Supernova is AWESOME!!! My HSTs are all sewn and pressed, but I haven't trimmed them down yet. I'll probably do that tomorrow (or next week at my monthly group Sew Day.) I just KNEW you would finish yours first!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mini is so pretty! I don't have many greens at all in my stash, so I'm just taking in all that green goodness you have! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this pattern. I think your orange version is one of my most favourite quilts I've found. A mini version looks like fun, but not sure I'd go that small ☺ Hope you're having fun at QuiltCon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That turned out to be so pretty! I fully understand about joining small HSTs - I've been doing that today. Hope you are having a great time at QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A sweet quilt but that is a lot of little triangles. My happy dance was meeting you this week - so much fun!!! It is so great to have a face and voice for your great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Beautiful placement and love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well that mini turned out great and bonus you have some ready for another project. That is the way to multitask.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a perfect DrEAMi! I have a whole bunch of HSTs from binding joins...might have to play! Thanks for the squirrel! And thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great mini! I shuttered when I read how small those HSTs are. Now, that's using all your scraps. Oh, no - you have enough for another quilt - it's better to have too many than not enough. What a great quilt and a great gift for a great person. Congrats on a wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just beautiful! There is something particularly soothing about green and white.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the shout out, Sarah! I'm almost ready to start sewing my HSTs. Yes. I'm THAT slow!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!