Wednesday, February 13, 2019

I May Have A Scrap Problem... Progress and Inspiration!

Hi, all!

Scraps just keep multiplying, don't they?  But I am making some progress - I got all my solid squares cut for QuiltCon (next week - hooray!!) and yesterday I put my scrappy string quilt on the frame!


I experimented with a new quilting design - sort of like a freeform freehand Baptist Fan.  It used a lot of bobbin thread, but it was fun to do and I think it's going to look wonderful when it's washed and dried! Binding will be done today - it's the first sunny day we've had in a week and the last one for about ten days and I've got to take pictures while I can!

I haven't had much time to do anything else scrappy this week, although I do have some ideas rolling around my head - like a mini version of my Supernova quilt, made with the green bonus HSTs left over from Nathanael's annual quilt.  And maybe some of these cool pouches...


Aren't these neat?  It's the wide-open zipper pouch tutorial by Noodlehead, and I have a ton of 2.5" squares that would be perfect for this!  And it seems to me I have a box of zippers somewhere, too.

How about some great inspiration?  Joan has been making a lot of scrappy quilts lately, and here's her latest...


Such a simple design, but a GREAT scrap buster!  I love all the colors in this one.  It makes me smile!


And Moira has been using orphan blocks to make these adorable snail blocks!  We've got tons of orphan blocks at church - I may need to check and see if any of them would work for this...


Have you tried a garlic knot block yet?  I haven't, but it's definitely on my list.  Paired with the sashing, cornerstones, and that great piano key border, this quilt just sings!  And it eats up a lot of scraps, too!



And last, but certainly not least, how about this quick quilt?  It would be so simple to make using 10" squares - a size I've been cutting this year, both here and at church.  This quilt is definitely on my list to make ASAP!

Keep plugging away at those scraps - and remember, they make great comfort quilts, too!  It's a great way to reduce the scrap level and help others too.

Hugs!

Sarah

17 comments:

  1. scrappy strings look great with that quilting, and the zipper pouch, they could be addictive once one is made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i can, i think i can, i think i can...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially love the last quilt design suggestion. So many of leftover 10" squares and other pieces that would work great for this. Wonderful ideas - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas; I like the quilted project bag-very clean lines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun at QuiltCon. We're having a snow day. Enjoy your sun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you give some more info on your freehand Baptist Fan quilting? I love Baptist Fans, but haven't taken the plunge to actually try it freehand on a quilt. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Baptist Fan quilting sounds great! I don't know if I'd dare do it free hand.
    Yes, scrap quilts make great charity quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm... A mini Supernova? Seems like I've heard that somewhere. Oh, that's right, I just cut for one last weekend! I'll be looking forward to seeing your small quilt, too. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice article as well as whole site.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So honored to see my quilt here. You inspire me all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed reading your post thanks for sharing it,

    ReplyDelete
  12. How amazing it is! Really The Baptist Fan quilting sounds great! I like this your Baptist Fan. thanks for shearing by with us.Some valuable tips have in your article that was very important to me. I have accepted your tips and learned a lot. A lot of thanks for sharing your personal knowledge. Keep sharing the more valuable article in the future. Clippin Expert Asia is the best photo editing service Provider Company around the world. Which provide high-quality photo editing service that ensures to make the product images appealing and eye-catching. After that helps to increase your e-commerce business. If you want to get a high-quality photo editing service then as soon as possible you communicate with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea. I want this quilt too. I'm writing a narrative application essay at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

  14. I will check your blog everyday to learn something new from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great information, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was explained and structured with perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!