Wednesday, October 12, 2022

I May Have a Scrap Problem - But I've Also Got Hexies!

 

Hi, all!

I am over the moon happy to be able to say that I have sewn the final hexie onto my hexie top!!!


If my math is right, there are 1428 hexies in this top, each one hand basted and then sewn together by hand.  This made a relatively good dent in my 2.5" square scrap bin, although I've probably got at least this many left!  


Today I went up and dug through my stash, hoping that I would have some of my grandmother's vintage Irish linen left in a color that would work as a border, and lo and behold, I found this beauty!  There's plenty to make borders to appliqué the top onto.  That will increase it's size just enough to make it the perfect size, AND will wash up lovely and soft!


And look what else I found!  This is a huge piece of linen that used be part of a duvet cover that I found on sale at Pottery Barn.  I used part of it as a back for a quilt several years ago, but it looks like there's enough to back this quilt too!  I can't wait to see (feel?) how soft and cuddly this quilt will be once it's finished....

So that's what I've been working on in the scrap arena this week.  How about you?  Is it time to bring one of those "squirrel" ideas floating around in your brain out into the light? There's no better day than today!

Hugs!

Sarah

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on that hexie finish--a labor of love for sure! It is just beautiful! Hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! I can't wait to see the finish with your borders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's wonderful!!! I have a little Hexie tablerunner that I need to start the applique process to get it on the background/border. I'm going to applique it down then cut out the center since it's so small. I think I can leave in the papers on the outside edges until the applique is done since I will be able to get to the back of the Hexies. Thanks for this post. You've given me courage to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure this quilt will be! Great plans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found the perfect fabric to border your hexie quilt, and that is a lot of hexies. I look forward to seeing it finished...you probably do as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your finished hexie top. A real beauty it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...that's a lot of hexies. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!