Friday, August 18, 2023

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Vintage Made Modern!

 

Hi, all!

Wow!  Is it Friday again already?  Well, we all know what that means - it's time for us to get our whoop whoop on!  I'm ready, and I hope you are too - so let's go!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

I think I've mentioned that my husband's cousin sent me some vintage embroidered blocks - I say vintage, but they are really only about 28 years old.  They were made for a baby quilt for her son, but circumstances arose and the blocks got put away without being used.  Her son is all grown up now, but the blocks are still in really good condition, so she asked if I could do anything with them.

When I received them, it turned out to be thirteen blocks I could square up to 8.5", and one block that would square up to 10.5".  Fourteen blocks was a conundrum - how could I turn this into a quilt?  There was no logical way to turn it into a symmetrical quilt, and I sat at my worktable staring at the blocks and wondering what to do with them.  Then I saw a jelly roll I bought a while back - The Lookout by Jen Kingwell - and noticed that the colors in the jelly roll echoed the colors in the embroidery really well. I contacted our cousin and showed her what I had and she gave me the go-ahead to do whatever I thought best.

Now I will admit to having had a shortage of quilting mojo lately - quilting what I needed to, but not really feeling it.  But I got an idea for this quilt and grabbed the graph paper....


...and here's what I came up with!  I planned to border each of the embroidered blocks with 2.5" strips, then lay them out with continuous strips behind them so that they appear to be "floating" on the stripes behind.  


And I'm so happy to say that it worked!  I love the way this turned out - bright and cheerful and just a little modern.  You can see the pretty embroidery in the following close-up shots of each quarter of the quilt....










I had a lot of fun with the quilting, too!  I wanted to do something different, so I did pointed swirls with flower petals (thank you, Christina Cameli!) in the striped areas, and smaller pointed swirls in the background of the embroidered blocks.


...and after a good productive morning spending quality time with Jolene (my quilting machine), I finally put in the last stitch!


I always love to see the quilting on the back, too...


Such lovely texture!  And now it's all ready to go back to our cousin to be loved and cherished!


So - - - can I get a whoop whoop?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you,

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

36 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt! Great use of these pretty vintage fabrics, and I love the layout you drew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your setting for the vintage blocks and the dense quilting makes an amazing texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combination of the embroidered blocks and the Jen Kingwell fabrics worked out beautifully!
    I don't see a way for us to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is amazing! I'm very impressed with your math skills, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes - that is an amazing save of vintage linens

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous quilt!! Perfect in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. That's quite an interesting quilting plan. It turned out great !

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is beyond excellent! What a treasure! You've nailed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It definitely worked! What a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that quilt is so interesting - you are not using prints that I would normally use but your quilting on it really brings it to life. I have a whole quilt kit with fabric that is not me and close to what you have there and I keep trying to figure out what to use it for and I can see that the way you quilting it makes it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's what I call a heirloom quilt. Wow! Marrying the past with the present is not always easy but you did it so beautifully in this quilt. Bravo! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treasure - you knocked this one out of the park! Perfect way to showcase those sweet blocks - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous quilt! I love the way you made the design work to include all the blocks...not easy. What a great design and how special that these UFO blocks were saved!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your finished quilt is beautiful. What a great way to showcase the embroidered pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's an awesome design for an unusual number of embroidered squares. It's a GREAT! quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent solution. And hopefully your mojo is back on track. You've turned some orphan blocks into a family heirloom.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! Your layout is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did a great job on the quilt! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a special way to honor those embroideries. They look great teamed up with the JK fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You worked wonders with that strange number of blocks! What a darling quilt from such sweet blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quilt is lovely. What a great innovative design for your blocks. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A brilliant idea for sampler quilt layouts... love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your quilt is WONDERFUL! Yes, I'm shouting. Great blocks, great layout, terrific colors, great quilting, WONDERFUL!! Whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome quilt!! I keep looking at it and cannot figure out how you put it all together. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whoop whoop for you for sure! What a great way to use a jelly roll pack, and it looks like it was made for those sweet blocks. Wonderful that you were able to rescue them from endless storage.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, did it ever turn out super! Your cousin will be so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely beautiful! & an extra whoop! whoop! for coming up with a design!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great quilt you made with those blocks. I haven't had any quilting mojo lately, either.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great quilt! I've been puzzling for a while now, trying to figure out how you sewed the pieces together. It looks very complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Everything is very open with a really clear explanation of the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow!!! It was really an Informational Article, keep it up! thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is incredibly charming substance! I have taken a lot of joy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!