Monday, August 21, 2023

Make-A-List Monday - Progress and Distractions!

 

Hi, all!

Welcome to another week of fun and games!  Our trip to Italy is just around the corner and it's starting to feel really real now - we booked the trip about eight months ago, and back then it felt so far away!  But now it's only a week and a half away.  My Italian feels so inadequate, but at least I'll be able to understand a little bit of what they are saying, and Google Translate can take care of the rest.  

In between thinking about what we need to do before leaving, I did get some of the things on last week's list done....

1.  Complete the vintage block top.
Done!  It turned out so cute, and went in the mail to our cousin today.


2.  Pull fabrics for Lilli's annual quilt.
I not only pulled them, but I cut out the pieces needed for most of the blocks, and today I made two of them!  This pattern is Crunch Time by  Kelli Fannin Quilts.


3.  Choose solid colors for Nathanael's annual quilt.
I went to the store and bought a few colors that required large quantities; the rest I will try to fill in out of my stash and scraps, only purchasing if I can't find something that will work.

4.  Clean up some in the studio.
Well, I did clean up a little but the stuff I didn't get to seems to have spread.....

5.  Work in the front flower beds (if weather permits).
I did it!  We had an easy cool morning, and I waded in - I wish I had taken a "before" shot, but you'll just have to take my word for it - the grass and weeds on the left side of the flower bed were about waist high.  I filled up three contractor bags with lawn waste, and could probably have filled up three more with what was under and behind the cherry tree, but I ran out of energy and it was starting to get hot.  So the rest will happen another day!


I also did a little baking today - I found a recipe for a blueberry ricotta galette that is so easy and so delicious!  Galettes are simple - you just lay out a round of pie dough (I buy mine ready made!) and top it with fruit mixed with sugar and seasonings and a little corn starch.  This one has a layer of ricotta underneath the fruit.  Then you fold up the edges, brush them with egg, and sprinkle it with a little sugar.  Thirty minutes in the oven at 400 degrees and you've got a simple but delicious dessert!


And now for this week - here's what I plan to be working on....

1.  Continue making blocks for Lilli's annual quilt.

2.  Remind Emmy to make me more drawings for her quilt.

3.  Bind a quilt for the quilt ministry - the last one for our current project.

4.  Write up my packing lists for Italy.

I'm going to keep it short and sweet this week because I'd really like to make some serious headway on Lilli's quilt - it would be wonderful to have one of the annual quilt tops finished before I leave - and honestly, my mind is so distracted with things I need to do!  I'm hoping writing lists will get it out of my head and onto paper.  Then I might have some brain power left to do other things!

And here's a special request - you know I mentioned Kelli Fannin Quilts earlier?  Kelli is dealing with a cancer diagnosis right now and is currently going through treatment, and could really use all the prayers, positive energy and good thoughts we can send her way.   I've tested some quilts for Kelli and made several of her designs and she is just the sweetest - the world is a better place with her in it.  So send up some good vibes, will you please?

And now, I really want to know - - - what are YOU working on this week?

Hugs!

Sarah

16 comments:

  1. I'm working on two 'Quilts for Kids' kits--relaxing stitching. Nice start on your annual quilts for the grands. Exciting about your trip. (I always get pretty homesick before heading out for a trip--I do love my life at home and it is hard to leave it!) I will be praying for Kelli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you do have a lot on your plate right now, but you're so organized, I'm sure you can handle it. I'll be praying for Kelli. She's been through so much already, she doesn't deserve this new challenge. I've used several of her patterns, including the Minecraft one. She's very creative and talented.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a busy one, for sure. Your planting area looks great!
    I hope you have a great trip to Italy! It is a beautiful country, and the people are so welcoming. If you know a few basic words/phrases of Italian, you will be fine. Most Italians speak at least a little English. When we were there a few years ago, we only encountered one instance where the person we were trying to talk with knew no English at all (we had stopped at a little cafe to try to figure out exactly where we were…we had a map, but couldn’t locate where we were, on the map….the person who didn’t speak English was able to understood our problem….he went and found someone who did speak English and brought him to us…that fellow took off his apron, and went outside to the sidewalk with us, and helped us figure it out) …. I will never forget that fellow’s kindness!!! Have a great trip!
    Sandra B
    scb23229@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You get a LOT done pretty quickly! Your planter is looking very nice. Extensive prayer sent already for Kelli and will continue to send others. Hope you have a wonderful trip. I'm hoping hubby & I can soon start some short trips as I'm REALLY sick of being home all the time! Take care! Deb E

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just sent Kelli an email. She's had several issues over the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A round of applause for your blog. Really looking forward to read more. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good way of explaining, and fastidious piece of writing to take facts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Major thanks for the post. Really looking forward to read more. Really Good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly like your technique of writing a blog. I saved it as my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was definitely informative. Your site is very useful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello very nice article!! Excellent & Wonderful. I’ll bookmark this website.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for fantastic information I was on the lookout for this info for my mission.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of your post’s to be what I’m looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this. You should continue your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thankyou appropriate for keeping us informed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!