Monday, August 10, 2015

Make-A-List Monday - The Back-To-School Issue

Hi, all!

I don't know about you, but my Facebook feed is full of pics of kids going back to school -  all those bright shining faces in their new duds are just so cute!  And because I think my grandkids are the cutest, here are their "first day of school" pics from this morning!


Lilli - I can't believe she's starting 2nd grade!  


And Emmy is super-excited to be going back to pre-K (she started last April when she turned 3) in her "bee-yoo-tiful" new dress!



Poor Nathanael got the short end of the stick today - he had to get one more immunization and he has one more evaluation on Thursday before he can start school on Friday.  I sure hope he got some ice cream to make up for it!

I've had a busy and productive week here - let's see how last week's list fared...


1.  Finish piecing the photo commission quilt.
Done!  I've covered the photos in this pic, but you can get the general idea...


2.  Make a back for the photo commission quilt.
Done!  This back used up all the scraps from the front - SCORE!



And not only did I finish the top and the back, but I got it quilted and bound today!!

3.  Start piecing the signature quilt.
Sort of - I worked with some other folks on Saturday to put together 9-patch blocks that will become the back of the quilt.  We were collecting signature blocks until Sunday, so I haven't started piecing yet....


4.  Make a lavender baby quilt for a new baby coming soon!
Done - but it ended up being a yellow, white and gray quilt with a lavender back and binding.  I love the way this quilt came out!


5.  Work on Nathanael's stocking.
Done!  It's kind of fun to see the progress each week - it makes me aware that even though it seems to be going slow, I AM making progress!



6.  Print out and sew on the kids' quilt labels.
Done!  Well, at least they are all printed out, and I've sewn on all the ones that I had the quilts for at my house.  I need to trade some to my daughter to get the ones she has that need labels...


7.  Start planning the kids' quilts for Christmas this year.
Well, I know what I'm going to do for Lilli's quilt.  She requested princesses and rainbows, so I'll be making my own rainbow bedding version of this quilt...


And this photo has given me the inspiration for Emmy's quilt...


She was all about "ye-yow flowers" this year - dandelions were her favorite, which was a real problem when the dandelions all disappeared!  I want to make a similar block, but smaller, in shades of yellow.  Still need to work out the actual pattern, but I think I know how to do it.

And I have the focus fabric for Nathanael's quilt, but I haven't figured out what to do with it yet, so we'll save that for another day!

8.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.
Done!  Whew, it turned out to be a busy week...

This quilt went to a woman just diagnosed with Stage 4 cirrhosis...



This one went to a woman whose only son just died in a car accident.  She's having a hard time and we hope that this quilt will bring her some comfort...


This quilt went to a gentleman undergoing open heart surgery this week...


This quilt went to a woman who is going through chemo for lymphoma in her lung...


This quilt went to a little boy who had a horrible tractor accident recently and was severely injured.  (Lilli picked this one out!)


This one went to a gentleman with cancer who lives near our church...


And this one went to a member of our quilt ministry who fell at home the other day and is in rehab now.



OK, not too bad on last week's list.  Here's what I need to get to this week...

1.  Tack down the photo blocks on the commission memory quilt.

2.  Piece the signature quilt.

3. Piece the back for the signature quilt.

4.  Work on making racks for the quilt show.

5.  Create a flyer for the quilt show.

6.  Quilt the signature quilt (if time allows).

7.  Work on Nathanael's stocking.

8.  Pick up more of the kids' quilts and sew the labels on them.

9.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.

It seems like a skinny list, but I absolutely have to get the first  five things done this week, without fail!  After all, Christmas is coming on like a freight train!!

So now, the question is - - - what are YOU working on this week?

Hugs!

Sarah

PS I don't know why my fonts are wonky this week, but I'm out of time and energy to fix it!  



7 comments:

  1. BACK TO SCHOOL?????
    Our kids don't go back until Sept 8 after Labour Day. so they get 4 more weeks of summer vacation.
    I think ice cream is the best medicine for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandchildren are adorable. I like the girls Christmas quilts. I love your vision for the dandelions quilt. I love your label in the binding. Did you make the label or purchase them? Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Grandkids pictures are adorable and I love Lilli's shirt. That doesn't look like a skinny list to me, some of that stuff sounds pretty time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. school starts next week here but my grandkids in WI do not go back until early September -of course they go into June too and here they get out third week or so of May.
    Your grands look delightful and hope Nathaniel is settling in ok with his family

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kid's first school day pictures are so cute. I hope Nathanael got ice cream, too. I also hope everything goes well and we see his first day school pic on Friday.

    Your vacation must have done you good because you are back in full swing.

    I am on a staycation this week and getting my daughter ready to move to college. I am making her another bed pillow for her college apartment room and trying to catch up on a sew along.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your list sounds pretty hefty to me; it's amazing how much you accomplish each week! Cute grandkid pics. I hope Nathanael got his ice cream and that he enjoys starting school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sweet girls are beautiful and full of personality. Hope Nathaniel gets to join in at school soon with ice cream for everyone :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!