Wednesday, August 19, 2015

What's On The Bookshelf Wednesday - Do You Need a Laugh?

Hi, all!


Welcome to What's On The Bookshelf Wednesday!

I'm sure you all have had those days - you know, the ones where nothing goes right - you're using your seam ripper like it was your best friend, those fabrics you thought would look fabulous together just aren't playing well together at all... and you just want to sit in a corner and cry.  This week I have a book to share with you that will give you something better to do than cry - laugh!!


This is Megan Dougherty.  If you aren't already familiar with her, she blogs over at The Bitchy Stitcher, with the tagline 
"Sass * Snark * Occasional Quilting".
How can you resist a blog with that title?  I first discovered her blog after reading an article in Quilters Home magazine called "A Quilter's Survival Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse".  The article had me hooked - I love sass and snark, and Megan's blog and humor are full of both!  Her blog can be a bit raunchy at times (what else would you expect with that name?) but her humor is unendingly funny.  A couple of years ago she self-published her first book, "Quilting Isn't Funny", a collection of threadful humor.


As I was reading the copyright page to see if I needed to do anything special before reviewing this book, I found the following:

"All rights reserved.  No part of this book may be reproduced in any form...without permission in writing from Megan Dougherty, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review. So, you know, don't be copying this on the Xerox in your office and then handing it out at your guild meetings, because I'll find out and tell all my Facebook fans about it and, believe me, 
those people like to get nasty." 

"All works contained herein are fiction and any similarity to persons living or dead, including your mom, are purely coincidental.  Please note that the author assumes no liability if your ass does indeed fall off while laughing."

Just a sampling of titles from the book:

Urban Legends of Quilting

How to Talk to your Teenager about Quilting

Zen and the Art of Crappy Quilting

How to Put The Spark Back In Your Quilting


There are no pretty quilt pictures in this book, but there are a whole lot of belly laughs as Megan satirizes and lampoons all those traditions we hold most dear - quilt police, tutorials, quilt guilds - just about anything you can think of!  I highly recommend this book as a wonderful way to forget your seam ripper woes for a few minutes and discover that there is life on the other side of that quilt that is driving you insane!

You can purchase your own copy on Amazon or through Megan's shop, Clever Notions!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

I received another book in the mail today - one I'm really excited about....


Guess where I'm going in October!  How cool is that?

*&*&*&*&*&*

So that's what's on my bookshelf this week.  Have you looked at yours lately?

Hugs!

Sarah

PS - Be sure to stop back by here on Friday, when I'll be whooping it up for sure - and there may even be a giveaway involved!!  You DON'T want to miss this!!

10 comments:

  1. Love the copyright page, it's true, I follow Megan on FB and some of those people are wild, LOL.
    Beijing in just a couple of months? Wow, that sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, shared it with my qulty friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that Sarah. I've followed her blog for over a year and she is indeed hilarious. As for raunchy, isn't it about time quilters lightened up and got over themselves? Hell yeah, IMHO. Her Tula Pink Dresden Plate quilt is to DIE for, as are her posts about her diverticulitis ordeal, Ode to my new Semi-Colon bahaha. That's me, laugh/snorting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about raunchy, but wanted to give folks fair warning. Some people just don't take it well! And I'm rather partial to George, her beautiful quilt (love that she names her quilts for hunky guys.....)

      Delete
  4. Okay, I obviously need to go check out Megan's blog. Might even order up a copy of her book! Thanks for the tip - and kudos on your social media milestones. :- )

    ReplyDelete


  5. The reviews and buying guide that we have presented should be able to help you choose your best handheld sewing machine 2022.Best Handheld Sewing Machine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there anyone who can recommend the best product among the ones listed here?Best Portable Sewing Machine

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can I tell which one is the best product among those mentioned on the list here?
    Best Offset Smokers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Among the products listed on the site, which one is the best? Best Pole Saw

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!