Wednesday, July 17, 2019

12 Days of Christmas in July Blog Hop and Quilt-Along, Day 4!

Hi, all!

Welcome back to the 12 Days of Christmas In July Blog Hop!  Are you having fun yet?  Have you found your next great project?  My mind is hopping with ideas - now all I need is time to put some of them into action!

Today we've got some great Christmas "gifts" from Brandy of Pampered Pettit and Vicki of Vicki's Crafts and Quilting.  You're going to love what they have for us today - and that "gotta make" list is gonna grow!


Here's the line-up once again...

Sunday, July 14th



Monday, July 15th


Tuesday, July 16th


Wednesday, July 17th


Thursday, July 18th


Friday, July 19th


Saturday, July 20th


Sunday, July 21st


Monday, July 22nd


Tuesday, July 23rd


Wednesday, July 24th


Thursday, July 25th


And remember, too, there's a giveaway!  FIGO Fabrics has donated a fat quarter bundle of their new Christmas line, Wintertide...



...and one lucky reader will get to take it home!  All you have to do is fill in the form below with your full name and email address (don't worry, I won't use it for anything beyond notifying you if you win!).  Entries will close on Tuesday, July 30th, and I'll announce the winner here on Wednesday, July 31st - New Year's Eve in July!


Be sure to click "Submit"!!

You get an entry for visiting the stops on the hop, too, so drop by each new day's blog posts, enjoy the post and leave a comment (comments make us happy!), then fill out the entry form on their blog too.  If their blog hop post doesn't have an entry form feel free to come back here and leave an entry after checking out their "gift" for you!

So get hopping, folks - then come back here to see today's step for the quilt-along...

*******



Today you will start working on the third block for your quilt, and you'll actually start to see the design coming together!  If you still need instructions, you will find them at this post.  As you can see from the picture above, I assembled the nine blocks for my (third) version of this quilt, and I am loving the way it looks!  I also started working on some tree blocks for one of the outer borders, as I am planning on turning this one into a medallion quilt.  


I started by creating a strata of various 22" strips of fabric - they vary in cut width from 1" to 2.5" - and after sewing them together lengthwise, I used my Tri-Recs Ruler to cut the triangles from them.  I used what I now understand is called a "top and tail" technique, where you alternate the up-and-down of the template to get the most triangles from your strip.  Thanks, Jean!


Then I cut the outside triangles from the white print I used in the center motif and started assembling them.  I think these will work nicely!  I've got 15 more to finish - and I'm not positive I'll be using all of them.  This technique is kind of loosey-goosey!  That's the technical term for "making it up as I go along"...

I started to make the little snowballs for an inner border, and quickly realized that it would take more time and definitely more patience than I have right now!  So I'm thinking I may switch plans to a checkerboard border - I have some beautiful red prints that should work nicely.  We'll see how that goes tomorrow!

Remember, if you want to show off your progress on Instagram, please tag me (@fabricaddictquilts) and use #12DCIJquiltalong so I can find you!!  

See you tomorrow!

Hugs!

Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Fun tree blocks! This will make a lovely medallion quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choice for the borders!
    There is a family joke about my first attempt at tree borders--of course, I didn't have rotary cutters, templates or decades of experience I now possess! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your tree blocks! I'm enjoying your Christmas in July Blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah! Ooooooh - I love those green triangles. They are just the perfect trees, and what a great use of scraps. LOVE! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those string pieced trees are SEW cute!! They would make a great quilt all on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. loving your trees🌲🎄🌲⛄
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!