Sunday, February 16, 2020

Charmed, I'm Sure! Begins - With A Lot of Help From A Friend!

Hi, all!

Well, they do say better late than never, and we sure are getting a late start on this year's quilt tutorial series - but hopefully you will all forgive me!  Moving really threw a monkey wrench in my life for a while, but as you'll see today, a very good friend is helping me out so that we can get started.

This year's theme is Charmed, I'm Sure! and our focus will be on using charm squares.  I don't know about you, but I choose to cut my scraps into pre-cut sizes (2.5", 5", and 10" squares) because I know there are loads of patterns out there for those sizes.  But after cutting them, you really should use them!  So all of our patterns will use charm squares, sometimes in unusual ways.


Today's quilt, though, is just a twist on simple patchwork - 5" squares placed on point!  This pattern is by Amy Smart, who blogs over at Diary of A Quilter, and bless her heart, she has graciously offered to allow me to link to her free tutorial so that you all can make one of your own!  It's a simple and fun quilt to make, and allows you to use some pretty focal prints, too...


...like these dancers!  This quilt was a wedding present for a young woman I have known since she was quite small, and dance was a huge part of her life growing up. So when I found these blocks in my stash, I knew they needed to be part of her quilt!


I'm also terribly fond of these Mendocino mermaids, and was happy that their coloring made them fit right into this quilt!


used one of my favorite prints for both the setting triangles and corners and most of the backing.


Simple quilting on the long arm finished this off so it will be soft and cuddly!


And I was so grateful for a nice sunny day to show off the pretty colors in this lovely quilt!

So now I'm curious - do you also cut your scraps in standard pre-cut sizes?  Or do you have a stash of charm packs that you just couldn't resist at the last quilt show (hand raised in the air!) Well, it's time to drag them out and use them up!  Be sure to stop by next Sunday for another tutorial using charm squares - hopefully you'll find just the thing to inspire you!

And just a reminder - be sure to leave Amy a comment to let her know you were there!  I can't tell you what a relief it was to me when she said it was okay for me to link to her tutorial - quilty friends are the best!!

Hugs!

Sarah

11 comments:

  1. Very pretty and I , too, like the focal fabric on the border triangles and the binding! Nice to be on point every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about the theme this year. I feel some incentive to get a few things done here on the scrap busting front. Let me know if you need help again, happy to do something extra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cut my scraps only when they are small. I like to have bigger scraps in case I want to do more than one block with it. I cut the smaller pieces into 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3.5 and sometimes 5 inches. Lovely quilt. Looking forward to see what next week holds. Thanks for the inspiration. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a pretty quilt but beautiful colors that really make it special...i cut my scraps 2", 2.5" and 5"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a slow start to 2020 sewing too. Glad to see the new theme. I know I have a few charm packs that have been sitting to long. Looking forward to all the options.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I first saw this simple but very pretty quilt on IG. The colorway is just perfect with Spring finally coming our way. No pre-cut scraps for me, there's always that chance a better use will come along. Or so I tend to think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cut 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3.5, 5 and 10 inch squares. I start with the largest ones and work down until I can't cut any more unless I have something in the works I need a certain size for. I cut strips first though except for the 5" and 10". Probably confusing. Sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your wedding gift quilt is just lovely! Those sea glass colors are wonderful. I cut my scraps into 2.5" squares and strips when I can because I have some ongoing projects that can use that size. Thanks for linking the tute; I'll go check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This year's theme? Is this the official lead up to H2H20? What a wonderful gift you made using Amy's tutorial, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!