Friday, May 16, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Shine On, Sadie!

Hi, all!

Wow, can you believe it's time for Blogger's Quilt Festival again?  If this is your first time visiting my blog, welcome!  I hope you'll take a little time to look around - I hope you'll find lots of quilt-y inspiration as I chronicle the quilts created not only by me, but by the members of Piece*Love*Quilt, our church's quilt ministry.  We hope to give away our 1000th quilt this year, so there's plenty to see!  I also host the Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge each year, which is actually in progress right now.  You can learn more about these two causes by clicking the Page button for each in the bar above.  But enough about me and this blog - let's get to the quilt!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

I will warn you up front - this story may tear you apart.  But it is a story that will also brighten your life if you take the time to read it.

Our church has a quilt ministry called Piece*Love*Quilt that has been sending quilt-y hugs to people in need for the past four years.  




In November 2012, a young woman working in a local day care requested a quilt for a little girl who was having unexplained seizures.  A simple charm quilt was sent, along with many prayers for her safe recovery.  Soon after, my husband came home and told me that a co-worker’s 17-month old daughter had just been diagnosed with leukemia.  We didn’t know until a few days later that these two little girls were one and the same.  Here’s a short video showing Sadie lying on the quilt that was made for her....


Sadie was diagnosed with leukemia in early November 2012 and went home to her Heavenly Father on December 21, 2012.  Only six terrible, sad weeks. But that isn’t the end of the story.


In the months since, Sadie’s parents, Amber and Tim, and her big brother Eli, began an organization called Shine On, Sadie with the intention that through sharing her story, there would be lots of ways to love big and spread sunshine to children and parents in a “Pay It Forward” kind of way.  Saturday, May 17th marks the beginning of the second annual Sadie Smile Toy Drive.



Reading the Shine On, Sadie Facebook page or Amber’s personal blog shows just how far-reaching Sadie’s impact has been on this world we live in.  Stories of families who have held birthday parties for their children where all the toys were given, not to the birthday girl or boy, but to local charities or hospitals.   Amber's celebration of her own birthday earlier this year when she went to a local Starbucks and gave the drive-thru attendant a $150 gift card (the combination of gift cards given to them by others while Sadie was sick) to pay for people's purchases behind her in line.  She wanted to do something with her girl that day, and since she couldn't have Sadie there with her, she did something that would make a good memory of Sadie making a difference in the lives of others.



Children who run lemonade stands and send the money to help buy toys for the toy drive.  A little 4-year old girl who sent the $5 she found in an Easter egg to help little children who are sick.  I am constantly amazed by how this family has taken a potentially life-shattering tragedy and turned it into a powerful witness to the greatness of God.  

I have only met Sadie through the pictures and videos posted by her mother.  I love to know that we were able to give some small comfort to Sadie and her family by providing a quilt in a time of need.   When I asked a mutual acquaintance to ask Amber if we could use the video of Sadie on the quilt in this blogpost, she said “Awwwww, absolutely, that quilt is still under her”  




Here, in her own words, Amber shares an amazing testimony...

I will forever be changed by having the chance to be Sadie’s mommy.  I honestly believe that God allowed her to be here for a short time for a specific reason.  And although His plan is not exactly what I would have chosen, I have to trust that He knows a little more about life than I do, and that He has something big He wants to accomplish through her sweet little (big) life.  Sadie is leaving her mark in big big ways, and I’m honored (in a weird kind of way) to be a part of it.  I love you all dearly, and thank all of you who have chosen to take this journey with us.  Your words, prayers, encouragement, smiles, hugs, tears, and everything in between have absolutely meant the world to us.  
One thing we know is that we are not alone.  
Love big, guys.  
We only get one shot at this. 
*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*


Shine on, Sadie!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

I know this isn’t a big fancy quilt, 
but it is the one that touched my heart most deeply this year.  
Thank you for taking the time to read the story.  
I hope you’ll check out the links and 
become part of helping Sadie shine on!!

Hugs!

Sarah

PS.  If you'd like to read the story of the woman who pieced Sadie's quilt, click here.  It's an amazing story, too - and was last year's May Blogger's Quilt Festival entry!

14 comments:

  1. Just a lovely post Sarah - and the tissues were handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story Sarah, so much good from tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I am choked up. What a great story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, as the tears run, I can't image just how heart warming it was for you to be a part of Sadies story too. Your special quilt will always be a memory for her loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow to both stories. Thanks for all the wonderful charity work you do, and thanks for always graciously giving glory and helping us remember what's important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the warning - I did use a couple tissues. It is a heart wrenching and warming story. I'm sure my daughter's short life was for lots of reasons. I hope my Grandkids can see that, and do likewise. She was a remarkable woman.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful story of a family turning tragedy into some good. My heart still hurts for their loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I welled up a bit here... The quilt is lovely, the story even more so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, a tear!
    Wonderful story!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a beautiful story, it's good that something good came out of a tragedy. I disagree with your statement though : " I am constantly amazed by how this family has taken a potentially life-shattering tragedy and turned it into a powerful witness to the greatness of God. " - surely they've turned it into a powerful witness to the kindness of people?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I truly loved reading about this special little girl and how her memory is inspiring so many to help others. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!