Friday, May 23, 2014

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? A Useful Tip Worked Out!

Hi, all!

It’s Friday again - are you ready to get your whoop whoop on?  It’s been a busy week here, but I’ve got something fun to share with you!

A few weeks ago, my friend Michele took a class with Kimmy Brunner at the MQX East Quilt Show, and shared some of the tips she learned there on her blog. One of them was how to create channel locks for your long arm machine using rubber bands.  Well, I’ve been trying all kinds of ways to fashion a channel lock for Jolene, so I thought today that I would give the rubber bands a try!


I had this cute little quilt top ready to put on the frame - actually I had it sandwiched up for straight line quilting on my table top machine, but I pinned it to the frame and off we went!  


A small learning curve as I experimented with the best way to advance the rows, but eventually I worked it all out.  It took about 40 minutes to quilt this up, but I have a feeling it will go a bit faster next time. 


I’m thinking about using this technique to quilt Nathanael’s Ladder - what do you think?  I love the texture it gives the quilt!  Even though the lines are fairly close together, it’s still a soft and pliable quilt.


So - - - can I get a whoop whoop?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it’s your turn!

What are you dancing the happy dance about this week?


What’s got you whooping?

Share with us - we want to whoop along with you!

The party will remain open until Sunday midnight - 
and remember, it doesn’t have to be a finish!
Just whatever’s making you happy!

Hope to see you there!


Hugs!


Sarah





28 comments:

  1. Or run the machine along the back bar and you get a horizontal line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this quilt! How far apart are those quilting lines? 1/2 an inch? I've got a quilt with lots of white space and I'm thinking of doing this type of quilting too (but on my domestic machine).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this quilt! The straight line quilting is lovely! I want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt Sarah! Thanks for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt!! That looks like a fun one to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love straight line quilting, although it can get boring, the texture is always wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 40 Minutes? wow that seems pretty darn fast and you think you will be faster? Great job and such a pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! What a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your quilt - the quilting looks great!! Thanks for hosting the linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You get a loud WhoopWhoop! That looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely get a whoop whoop! That quilt looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choice on the quilting! That's my favorite technique (probably because it's easier than others!) Love the simplicity of that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute quilt with nice texture. 40 minutes to quilt???? Wow, what a record!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is impressive-lightening-fast, and an impressive finish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I love the quilt and its colors are fabulous. Now, how did you do the rubber-band channel lock thing? I've never heard of that before--and I've taken a Kimmy Brunner class. What a cool idea! Any chance of you sharing a tutorial of how it was done? I must learn this! Wow! Awesome! 40 minutes to quilt--amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great quilt! I love the use of solid fabrics and this pattern looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this quilt - and the quilting too. Is it made starting with a 9 patch and then 1/2 square triangled with white? For some reason I'm really into stars lately, love the scrappy look too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your star quilted. So there is a learning curve on the longarms... I've been hoping for one, maybe not so much now.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the straight line quilting you've done on that quilt! What a gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love, love this quilt! The colors, the quilting....everything.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a great quilt! I can't tell how big it is, but it love the idea of just making one BIG block and letting that be the quilt. I also love the quilting, and may even be inspired to quilt one of my own - smaller - quilts like that on my little Bernina. I usually send all my quilts out to a professional long-armer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your quilting...I have a couple of quilt tops I want to try this on. I actually have the channel locks and use them for basting and accenting.....but never used them for end-to-end. As always, you continue to inspire us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah for you. I'm glad it worked and the quilting turned out fabulous. Unfortunately when I looked at my machine I figured out quickly that this idea won't work for me but it did get me thinking about an alternative option and I'm looking forward to trying that out, hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the quilt and the quilting...Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!