Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What's Cookin' at the Sweatshop?




Hi, all!

Can you believe that January is almost over?  And I've still managed to keep one of my main New Year's resolutions - to post each week about the quilts we have given away as part of the Piece*Love*Quilt ministry!  We've given away a few more this week - so let's see them!


This cute little quilt, pieced by Pam, is going to a brand new baby boy - and it's being held by our newest member, Piper!  


This pretty quilt, made by our friend A.D., will be going to a 22-year old woman with spina bifida. She is confined to a wheelchair and is undergoing some health issues related to her condition.  This is such a beautiful cheery quilt - our prayer is that it will brighten her days as it warms her and gives her a big quilt-y hug!


This beautiful scrappy quilt was also given to us by our friend A.D., and has been given to a pastor from West Tennessee who is battling Stage 4 lymphoma.  As he undergoes tests to determine future treatment, we hope that this quilt will give him hope and comfort.

The next two quilts will be given to our pastor to be given away at the semi-monthly prayer and healing services that he holds.  At times he feels that someone needs to be able to take a hug home with them, so we try to have quilts on hand for him to use.



And for those of you who have asked, yes, a tornado hit our town of Mount Juliet, TN last night. Fortunately for my hubby and I, we live on the opposite side of town from where it hit.  Unfortunately, straight line winds took down a missions building that was under construction at church...


...but that's the only damage that I heard about from the folks I saw tonight at church.  We were very fortunate!

And we've received some more donations...


This pretty quilt top and some fabric from P., 


and some hearts from Sharon!

We've also received three more hand blocks for the Helping Hands Project...

From Sharon...

From Sheila...

And from P.!

I just love how individual each one is, and how much they reflect the personality of the giver!  If you have ever donated to our quilt ministry, or to the Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge, please click on the button on the top right of this blog to learn more about the project and send in a block!

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Now, on a slightly different note, but not too far flung from the ministry update, I want to let you know about a fundraiser that Pam, a member of our quilt ministry, is holding.  She made this absolutely beautiful quilt with a great story, but she has now decided to raffle it off to raise money for Blood:Water Mission. 


 She's hoping to raise enough money to put a well in a village in Africa!  Well, she's having a giveaway this week to raise awareness, and you can check it out here!  I know I'm going to be kicking myself for this, because I really want this quilt!  But it's a great cause and I want to help her reach her goal....

So that's what we've been working on this week in the Sweatshop!  Thanks to all of you who help make our work possible!!

Hugs!

Sarah

5 comments:

  1. I have a friend who lives there also. I'm glad there was not more damage. I'm really surprised we did not get hit with a tornado with the way the weather has been acting here in TX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad the tornado missed your part of town. That's a pretty close call. We had 50 degrees yesterday and 6-8 inches of snow today. Talk about waiting a little bit and it'll change.

    I always enjoy seeing your quilts and hearing about the people they touch. Fun to see all the different hand blocks too. They really do all have unique personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the tornado missed your end of town and didn't do too much damage. I love the idea that your pastor gives away quilts at his healing services. It must be wonderful for the people who receive them to get that extra special hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad the damage was limited to that! Still too close, though.

    Another wonderful bunch of quilts. I missed the Helping Hands Project so I'll check on that! Such cute blocks:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to hear you and your family are safe!

    hugZ,
    annie

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!