Wednesday, October 16, 2019

I May Have A Scrap Problem... Great Techniques Make Life Easy!

Hi, all!

It has been a busy week around here, but I did manage to make time to work on all three of the My Small World quilts!  This week I made fifteen orange peel blocks, five for each of the three quilts.  All of these blocks were made from 5" squares I had cut from scraps which made me very happy!

These green blocks will go in Nathanael's quilt...


...while these blue beauties will hang out in Lilli's version.


And for Emmy, whose favorite color is "rainbow", there's a lot of lovely color!


These blocks were quick and easy to make, thanks to a great book I read years ago...


First of all, if you don't already have this book, I highly recommend it - Lara has lots of fun projects in the book that all use her super-easy raw edge appliqué technique.  Her trick?  Using Mod-Podge for fabric to seal the back of the pieces to be appliquéd!  The edges don't fray and can be appliquéd with a raw edge and yet will hold and look good.  Much much easier and quicker than turned needle appliqué!

So that's what I've been working on scrappy this week - I'm almost through the required blocks that are due 11/15, so I'm still ahead of the game!  

What have you been working on these days?  Are you having fun playing in your scraps?  Do tell!

Hugs!

Sarah

10 comments:

  1. Love all the blocks, and every one so suited for the recipient.They will be loved so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I had not heard of that before. That sounds much better than glue or fusible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blocks you made and great techniques are a help...but you still amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty orange peel blocks! I love the variety of looks with the different fabric combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss (or forget) that you were making THREE of these quilts?!?! You're not trying to finish them for THIS year, are you?? Either way... Lucky thing you found an easy technique for the applique blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mod Podge! Who'd a thunk?!
    They look beautiful.
    Will the MP wash out later on?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the book, but haven't tried it yet. I'm visiting our daughter, so I can't check in the book. But does the Mod Podge wash out. I am really glad to hear from someone who has tried the method. Does it gum up the needle when you stitch them?
    Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice block sets! I'm going to look for that book - sounds like a neat technique to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My bottle of ModPodge dried out, so I need to get another one! I still have a quilt I made with Laura's method that needs to be basted and quilted. Hm, maybe I'll get to that this week. Or month. Or quarter? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Lindah on this one. What happen to the Mod Podge after you wash the quilt? What kind of needle you use when quilting? Or should you not quilt where the MP is? It sure makes lovely blocks though. Great job! ;^)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!