Friday, July 10, 2020

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? A Squirrel or Two....

Hi, all!

It's been a quiet week in my home town.......... but it's Friday and that means it's time for us to get our whoop whoop on again!  Are you ready?  Let's get started!


*&*&*&*&*&*&*

A couple of weeks ago I got a pair of bird feeders and set them up in the back yard where we can see them from our patio.  It has been quite a treat seeing all the birds, but lately we've been visited by a pair of squirrels who have provided some serious acrobatic entertainment!  I'm sorry I don't have any pictures yet - they are still a little skittish - but they have been hanging by their toenails from the top of the bird feeders so they can eat the seed.  They don't seem to frighten off the birds, so we've just enjoyed their antics.

All that to say I chased a couple of squirrels myself this week, but in the quilt studio!  I needed some undirected sewing, as my mind was in a turmoil, so I decided to try to make a block based on this inspiration shot....



I had a lot of pieced strips of varying widths, from 1" to 2 1/4", left over from my Moongate quilt, and realized they would be perfect for a piece like this.  So I cut up some Kona Snow strips for the other sides, found a square piece to start each block, and away we went!  


After finishing the piecing, I decided that it would make a good pillow cover, as it finished up at around 19" square.  A little quilting ensued, and then an envelope-style backing and some binding and voila!  A squirrel pillow cover!


I love the way it looks with the Moongate quilt....


Simple quilting, but I think it enhances the design.  


And now, I'm happy with this guest room!

And remember, I said a squirrel or two?  Well, when working on my project for the Christmas in July Pattern Parade blog hop (coming this Wednesday, July 15th!) I had a massive fail on my first attempt.  So I had two big pieces of pieced fabric that I hated to throw out.  What to do?  Whack it up, of course!  


And this is what I ended up with - a future table runner!  I think I'm going to fuse some white snowflakes to the center panel to finish it off, then quilt and bind it.  I really think I'm going to like it on my table!

So - - - can I get a whoop whoop?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you,

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah



21 comments:

  1. Your pillow turned out lovely, looks perfect on your bed. I know the days and months are running into each other but we're now in July, June is over, the Christmas in July starts next Wednesday, JULY 15th. This is a friendly correction. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so understand about the "squirrels". I'm in the same boat this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pillow looks great with your quilt. Piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh i love that guest room...i can come and try it out...lol...and gorgeous runner....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your squirrels are beauties! The finished pillow sets off Moongate very well. Congrats on your creativity.
    Connie W.
    c_s_wolfe@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pillow! Our squirrels are not skittish! They actually coordinated efforts to tip the feeder so seed would fall to those waiting below. For now, I've given up :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is am amazing pillow!! It just sets everything up so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you are enjoying the squirrels and sharing with them. Some people are not as generous. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Squirrel Pillow really finishes off the guest bed nicely, Sarah. But that table runner? Brilliant use of your Snowflake OOPS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the idea of the snowflakes for your table runner, and I love the pillow you created to go with the quilt. My squirrels used to take the top off the birdhouse and spill the seeds all over the ground, which I didn't really care for. One day I caught them in the act, and I said, "No" pretty loud. They ran, of course. Now I just keep an eye out for them, and if they start climbing up to the bird feeder, I authoritatively say, "No!" and they go to the corn cobs I leave out for them. I never knew squirrels could be obedient!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the pillow case you made. I was thinking that your table runner would look great to with Candy Canes on it. You are very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pillow turned out great. I used to have a bird feeder but the raccoons would eat all the bird seed and then finally broke the feeder. So I gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pillow is a perfect accent pillow-a nice sized challenge. BUT THAT table runner---wow! What a great save!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pillow looks like it was made exactly to go with your Moongate quilt. Look forward to seeing snowflakes in the center of your cut up wedges.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yup, Whoop whoop for you! Two squirrels! (I’m not going to count those mischief makers in your yard.) I love how you finished off the pillow with the dark binding. It sets it off so nicely on the bed. And the runner! I don’t know how those blocks started out, but what a striking pattern as a runner. Seems like you’d want to do that again some day—on purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I saw your pillow in pieces last week, I was so excited! What a treat this week to see it finished! Yes, the quilting only enhances the piecing! Perfect with that quilt, too!

    Great idea about having a large pieced item! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is going to be a great table rammer. I love the idea of snowflakes (on the runner, of course)! I’m not ready for real snowflakes yet! 🤶🏻

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are allowed to have squirrels, because unlike some quilters I know (cough, cough, lack of eye contact), your squirrels result in lovely finished projects rather than endless UFOs! That pillow looks FABULOUS with your guest room quilt. It really puts it over the top without being too matchy-matchy. And I wish I could get one of those crazy squirrel proof birdfeeders from your GIF at the end -- we finally found a "spicy" bird food that the bluebirds, house finches and woodpeckers love but the squirrels stay away from it. Win! My husband calls them "the tree rats" and he is like a real-live Elmer Fudd out in the yard in his underwear, chasing squirrels away from his bird seed with a BB gun... Too much information? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!